Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Branding Potatoes


So today I attended the funeral of a sweet elderly sister in our branch. And since it's a small branch, took a couple of things for the lunch afterward: a rhubarb crisp for dessert and of course, FUNERAL POTATOES! I swear Darla was in the kitchen with me this morning as I whipped them up. After the funeral, I had a hair appt. My hairdresser & I were talking about death and funerals and I was telling her about Darla & the funeral potatoes. She asked what they were, so I told her the basic recipe. She looks at me and says, "No, honey. Those are Branding Potatoes." Out here, branding day isn't just the fam and a few friends trying to get all stinky & bloody. It's the fam and every single neighbor and relative that can be rounded up within a 100 mile radius. The family hosting "the Branding" as they put it, provides a huge spread for lunch, including Branding Potatoes. I guess I'll have to tell Dad no more stale cheese from the cab of the truck & cut with the castrating knife, sandwiches, warm pop and smoked oysters. He'll have to serve Branding Potatoes at the next "branding". I'm sure Darla will show up if he does, though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment